Tuesday, March 31, 2009

thank you, Sufjan Stevens


It's been a little bit hectic these past few days. I spent the majority of this morning on the phone with a slightly pushy admissions person who wanted me to apply for a program I really can't afford right now. I spent the majority of yesterday and this afternoon tracking down various tax forms and instruction booklets. (Here's a tip: probably neither your library nor post office have self-employment tax forms. Just go straight to your local IRS office. It's much quicker that way.)

So it was nice to come home tonight and just do some painting and listen to Sufjan Stevens.
I've always been a fan of Sufjan's music but it was especially soothing this evening. I usually have to listen to instrumental music while I paint or draw (soundtracks are a favorite choice). Words can be really distracting and I need good melodies to get my creative juices flowing. I would love to be able to listen to audiobooks or radio programs but I just can't get my brain to multitask like that. However, Illinoise is such a perfect combination of lilting melodies and story-filled lyrics that it really fit the bill... warm, thought-provoking (but not too thought-provking!) and steady. 



Maybe it works because what I'm in the midst of right now isn't very complicated.
It's 1 of 2 honeybee-themed canvases I'm completing for a client's daughter's bedroom.
But I'm kinda liking that border...




No comments:

Post a Comment